[DCN-TechOps] wheel / spoke backups

Dave Zavatson zavatson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 10:15:47 PST 2009

Greetings,

I have need to do a restore from the wheel backups and have discovered
that backups have been failing for an unknown time due to the backup
tape filling up.  The nightly email message that states the backup
succeeded is actually not related to the backup succeeding. I am
working with Rob on a solution.  It may be as simple as using larger
capacity tapes.  Alternatively I'll change the backup schedule to
disks for backups on certain days.  We don't need to backup the whole
OS every day.

The state of backups is dire right now.  It is unlikely we have a
working backup for either spoke or wheel.  I'll continue working on
some type of solution so that we can start backups again this weekend.

This is just an FYI to keep you guys in the loop.

Dave